CBI October 2023
How Rodney Steven II turned Genesis Health Clubs into a dominant Midwest brand.
“We have to become an advocacy powerhouse. To do this, we must unite behind one organization and that is IHRSA.”
Rodney Steven II, Co-Owner
Genesis Health Clubs
Information You Can Use: This industry is built on passion, but to convert others, we need education and research.
- Putting IHRSA's Three Core Pillars to Work: IHRSA President & CEO Liz Clark notes we made measurable progress on our strategic objectives this month.
- The Genesis Juggernaut: Rodney Steven II has strategically built a durable, dominant brand in the Midwest with Genesis Health Clubs. But even as he continues to grow his business, he takes time to dedicate himself to IHRSA's advocacy mission and urges his peers to join him in creating a powerful coalition to achieve industry objectives. In this interview, Rodney shares his insights on building a brand while staying politically active.
- Cultivating Connections: The pandemic created a "loneliness epidemic," which continues to this day. Here's how fitness facilities can be a solution to the crisis.
- Reaping the Rewards of Recovery: Fitness centers of every type are embracing the wellness revolution by offering a range of recovery services.
- The Undeniable Link Between Exercise and Mental Wellness: The lead author of a major new study tells us why physicians should recommend exercise as a "first-line treatment" for mental health.
News & Know How
- News: Registration is open for IHRSA 2024 in Los Angeles; Planet Fitness makes a leadership transition; the Physical Activity Alliance holds its first-ever PAA Symposium in Washington, D.C.; a conversation with new IHRSA Board member Jeff Sanders; The Wall Street Journal reports on co-work spaces at fitness facilities; and much more news.
- International News: Swiss Active reports that the country's fitness businesses have made a strong recovery, and ukactive sets physical activity goals for 2030.
- Influencer: Nick Vay, vice president of sales at BeaverFit, talks about the newest generation of outdoor fitness equipment.
- Research Roundup: Researchers from Redwood Advisors provide illuminating insights from their new report, U.S. Wellness Industry Outlook 2023.
- Formula for Success: Max Members: A new app, developed by club owners, creates powerful new tools that turn trial memberships into lifelong commitments.
- Industry Partner News: The latest news from top suppliers.
- Leadership: IHRSA Board Chair Chris Craytor on the latest industry developments.
- Best Practices: 10 ways to maximize your online presence.
- Advocacy: The difference between "soft" and "hard" advocacy; and why both are essential to achieving industry policy goals.
- IHRSA Team Spotlight: Meet Emily Gluck, executive assistant to IHRSA's President & CEO.