“I'm a massive believer in surrounding yourself with great people. I was keen to have people with a non-health-club background, people with different thinking, and it's paid dividends.”
Justin Musgrove, CEO
The Bannatyne Group
- Empire Builder: A 30-year industry veteran, Justin Musgrove was hired by Duncan Bannatyne, the flamboyant British entrepreneur, in 2007 to develop The Bannatyne Group’s newly created spa division. A “make-it-happen person,” Musgrove has more than delivered. Named CEO in 2016, he now oversees a robust estate of 72 health clubs, 47 spas, and four hotels.
- Supercharged Growth: IHRSA’s 38th Annual International Convention & Trade Show made good on its theme.
- The “Connected” Member: A member experience enhanced by technology has become a defining brand differentiator.
- The ROI of Recovery: Appeal, value-added, and a fresh revenue stream—what more could you possibly ask for?
- The Exertainment Edge: Pairing entertainment with exercise may be one of the best ideas the industry has ever had.
News & Know How
- News: IHRSA Institute success; Equinox’s brand extension; Rajs is an In-Shape VP; Wahlberg and Strahan invest in fitness; yoga blessings; “Move Like the Avengers”; a Crunch wedding; and more!
- Latin American: Bodytech breaks ground in Bogotá, Colombia; Energy Fitness debuts in the center of Santiago, Chile; and Tuluka Fitness expands in Buenos Aires with its TLK studio model.
- First Person: Exerp’s Karl Koutroupas explains how to use data to improve the member experience.
- On the Move: 9Round goes global; Weymouth Club celebrates its 40th; Healthworks capitalizes on “The Power of Women”; F45 still expanding; plus more.
- The Past is Prelude: In this month’s First Set, IHRSA Board Chair Jim Worthington talks about how the achievements of the past year presage future success.
- Best Practices: Melissa Rodriguez mines the new Health Club Employee Compensation & Benefits Report.
- Combating Noncommunicable Diseases: IHRSA aligns with WHO to implement the Global Action Plan on Physical Activity, writes Kaitlynn Anderson Fernandez in this month's Grow, Promote, Protect.
- Awe and Enthusiasm: IHRSA 2019 was a provocative preview of IHRSA 2020, suggests Joe Moore, president and CEO of IHRSA, in this month's Last Rep.