CBI April 2022
Amy and Ben Wright, keynote speakers at this year’s IHRSA Convention & Trade Show, have dedicated their lives to promoting diversity and inclusivity with their chain of Bitty & Beau’s Coffee Shops. In this interview, Amy discusses what motivated them to create their unique business, and how the fitness industry can to do more to open doors to populations who are often underserved by commercial gyms.
“If every gym in America would hire somebody with a disability to be in the front of their business, to welcome members to the club, to have an interaction—it’s a really positive reset to a person’s day.”
Amy Wright, Founder and CEO
Bitty & Beau's Coffee
- We're Just Getting Started: Once again, the federal government failed to provide financial assistance to the fitness industry after the U.S. House stripped pandemic-related funds from the $1.5 trillion omnibus spending bill. That means the GYMS Act and any equivalent legislation didn’t make the final cut. This is hardly the end. In fact, the work is just beginning, with the action taking place on multiple fronts. Liz Clark and the NHFA are rolling up their sleeves and getting back to work. With their determined efforts and your support, they’ll make sure the industry never gets left behind again.
- CEO's Column: Full Steam Ahead: IHRSA’s recent board meeting shows that our commitment to transformative change is unwavering.
- The Magic of Inclusivity: Amy and Ben Wright, keynote speakers at this year’s IHRSA Convention & Trade Show, have dedicated their lives to promoting diversity and inclusivity with their chain of Bitty & Beau’s Coffee Shops. In this interview, Amy discusses what motivated them to create their unique business, and how the fitness industry can to do more to open doors to populations who are often underserved by commercial gyms.
- Here’s What’s Hot in Fitness Trends: See what a wide range of organizations and industry partners predict for the rest of the coming year for the fitness market.
- How to Put the Fun into Functional Training: It’s time to put an end to the “no pain, no gain” mentality and shift the focus of programming to stress the rewards of endorphin-rich workouts.
- Plugged In and Ready to Go: Fitness trackers and wearables continue to grow in popularity. Here’s how fitness centers can leverage these devices for retention and sales.
News & Know How
- News: The schedule for IHRSA 2022 is set, so you can make your plans now. Also, Congress punts on the GYMS Act, and Sen. Patrick O’Connor (R-MA-27) tells us why he supports the fitness industry.
- Remembering John Holsinger: We pay tribute to our beloved and irreplaceable colleague John Holsinger, who died in a tragic accident in February.
- Influencer 1: It’s time to consider a CRM system, says Daron Allen of VFPnext.
- Influencer 2: Jarron Aizen of Hapana tells you why your digital services need to be seamlessly integrated for optimal performance.
- REX Roundtables: Frank J. Ancharski explains how part of smart management is knowing when to give your employees a “push” out of the nest.
- IHRSA Medical, Science, and Health Advisory Council: Dr. Robert Sallis demonstrates why exercise is medicine against Covid-19.
- Formula for Success 1: Technogym: Have the best of both worlds by creating a boutique within your club.
- Formula for Success 2: Polar Club offers a convenient plug-andplay group X concept.
- Making a Difference: Read how SportsArt’s ICARE equipment helps those with disabilities.
- Industry Partner News: The latest news from the top suppliers in the business.
- IHRSA Membership: Tate Metcalf of Sisters Athletic Club shares why he upgraded his commitment to IHRSA.
- Best Practices: Your website matters for your business. Learn how you can get the most from it.
- Advocacy: Test your knowledge of exercise and advocacy with our challenging quiz.
- Travels with Liz: Checking in with IHRSA’s well-traveled president and CEO Liz Clark.