BOSTON—October 12, 2018—Active shooter incidents are on the rise in the U.S., with the FBI estimating that 2017 had the highest number of shooting incidents since 2000. The prevalence of this issue makes it impossible to predict where and when the next threat could occur, which means that health club facilities are at risk.
To ensure IHRSA members are prepared with an action plan to address an active shooter scenario, IHRSA released a new resource on How to Prepare for an Active Shooter Situation at Your Gym.
The product is divided into two sections:
- The “Advance Preparation” section discusses the importance of creating a basic plan that provides answers to the fundamental questions operators must ask themselves before a shooter incident occurs. For example:
- What should be included in an effective emergency action plan?
- How can I best communicate this information with my members and staff?
- How can I best share information on club entry and exit points with my members and staff?
- How can I best keep club members and visitors safe in the event of an incident?
- What information do I need to decide on an insurance plan that would cover damages caused by an incident?
- The “Responding to a Shooter” section discusses how to implement a club’s action plan in the event of an active shooter situation. It provides club operators with tips for communicating with staff, members, and first responders; ways to assess damage; and advice for how to begin the recovery process.
“Many IHRSA members have expressed their concern over not knowing what to do if an active shooter incident happened at their club,” said Helen Durkin, IHRSA’s executive vice president of public policy. “Our team wanted to put their minds at ease by creating a resource that acts as a guide to navigating and managing this sensitive issue.”
IHRSA members can download the How to Prepare for an Active Shooter Situation at Your Gym product for free by logging into the IHRSA website.