The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association’s (IHRSA) 16th annual European Congress wrapped up on 20 October in Seville, Spain, with more than 500 delegates from 29 countries.
“IHRSA is especially grateful to Maria Angeles and her team at MAS, who served as the local host for the event,” said Rasmus Ingerslev, Chair of the IHRSA Board of Directors, in his opening remarks. “They helped us find a great venue, advised on local attractions, and arranged the club tours—a highlight of the Congress for many attendees.”
In his opening keynote address, sponsored by Technogym, David Robertson, Ph.D., told attendees, “Whether you are a start-up or a Forbes 500 firm, sustainable innovation can be your key to success. Radical thinking can put you out of business—innovation doesn’t necessarily need to disrupt or change the game drastically.” Robertson is an author, professor of practice at the Wharton School, and a global innovation and IT consultant.
Marcos Eguillor, managing partner of BinaryKnowledge and professor at IE Business School, delivered the closing keynote address, sponsored by Keiser Corporation. “In the current market situation, it is no longer enough to offer good service—you need to adapt your business to a customer that is familiarized with technology, accustomed to mobility, and claiming services in line with the twenty-first century,” Eguillor said.
Among the many highlights of the programme were:
- The presentation of the IHRSA European Club Leadership Award to Gabriel Saez Irigoyen, Chairman and CEO of Ingefit/ GO FIT, Spain.
- The 3rd Annual IHRSA Europe CEO Forum, which was run in conjunction with the Congress.
- The Second UFIT (Universal Fitness Innovation & Transformation) Conference. UFIT is a global social change movement, led by the UNESCO Chair in the Institute of Technology Tralee, Ireland, aiming to increase fitness opportunities for all, in particular people with disabilities.
- More than a dozen additional seminars presented by industry operators and experts on a range of topics pertinent to the running of a successful health club.
- A Sponsor Showcase and seminars that helped club executives and leading suppliers to connect one-to-one.
- A tour of some of Seville's leading health clubs.
- The announcement that the 2017 IHRSA European Congre
For full coverage of the European Congress, visit http://www.ihrsa.org/blog/category/european-congress.
To see photos of the event, visit http://www.ihrsa.org/blog/2016/10/20/the-2016-ihrsa-european-congress-in-photos.html.
Congress sponsors included:
The IHRSA European Congress is sponsored by: American Council on Exercise (ACE), Anytime Fitness, LLC, eGym GmbH, GANTNER Technologies, GYMPASS, Innov8 Wellness Ltd., Johnson Health Tech. Co., Ltd. / MATRIX FITNESS, Keiser Corporation, Les Mills International, Life Fitness, miha bodytec GmbH, milon industries GmbH, MINDBODY, MYZONE, National Strength & Conditioning Association Spain (NSCA), Netpulse, OJMAR, PaceMaster, Perfect Gym, PILOXING, Polar, Precor, QualiCert - Qualitop International, Technogym SpA, T-Innova, Thinkerly S.r.I., Thomas Wellness Group, Virtuagym. Wattbike Ltd, Wexer Virtual and Zumba Fitness, LLC.
IHRSA, The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association is a not-for-profit trade association representing health and fitness facilities, gyms, spas, sports clubs, and suppliers worldwide. IHRSA and its members are dedicated to making the world healthier through regular exercise and activity promotion. IHRSA's events provide a vast array of speakers on business and corporate culture, instructional sessions on all aspects of succeeding in the health club industry, social events to mix and mingle with peers, and the most spectacular trade shows in the industry.