CBI October 2019
Alan Leach, the CEO of Ireland's West Wood Club, shares the fascinating story of this industry six-facility chain based in Dublin.
“I truly believe that the biggest threat to any fitness business isn’t the economy ... or boutiques, or the newest fitness fad. … The biggest threat is the fitness business itself.”
Alan Leach, CEO
West Wood Club - Dublin, Ireland
- “Welcome to the IHRSA European Congress!”: Alan Leach, the CEO of Ireland’s West Wood Club, is a 34-year industry veteran whose eyes and enthusiasm are firmly fixed on tomorrow.
- The West Wood Portfolio: A photographic exploration of the West Wood Club’s six exceptional facilities in Dublin.
- Exercise, Meet Nutrition: By honoring scope of practice, personal trainers can marry both to the clients’ advantage.
- IHRSA 2020 Countdown: We take a peek at networking “moments” of gatherings past to prepare you for IHRSA 2020.
- The Next Big Thing: Inspired by the growing popularity of rowing boutiques, clubs are embracing indoor rowing.
- No Laughing Matter: Scott Dikkers, the co-founder of The Onion, discusses vision at the 2019 Club Industry show.
News & Know How
- News: Sportec 2019 sets record; Life Time reboots NYHRC; new CEO for ukactive; North Castle doubles down; David Lloyd bets on seniors; Patchell-Evans honored; Duncan Banntyne returns; and much more.
- Latin American News: Gold’s Gym revisits and relaunches in Peru; Fitpass proceeds to move into the Chilean market; and Companhia Athletica embarks on THE TRIP in Brazil.
- First Person: Catherine Carty, UNESCO chair manager, wants the disabled to know that “U-FIT-In.”
- On the Move: EoS supports Workout for Water; The Camp has 110 sites; Blink Fitness fields NBA forward; CFW launches design division; and more!
- On the Horizon: IHRSA’s Rising Stars are The Right Stuff of our future, says chairperson Jason Reinhardt in this month’s First Set.
- Best Practices: Don Murphy, Gold’s Gym CEO, suggests successful steps to increasing group x classes.
- Value: Physician referral programs produce benefits for all involved—doctors, patients, and clubs, IHRSA’s Alexandra Black Larcom says in this month's Grow, Promote, Protect.
- Value Proposition: Exerp: The chance to develop a management platform to help chains multi-task with ease has made Exerp the choice of major club companies.
- Fair Competition? IHRSA’s President and CEO Joe Moore weighs in on competing with for-profit and government facilities in this month's Last Rep.