CBI January 2021
How David Barr, owner of The Wembley Club, and Fitness Director Colleen Ryan are thriving in the new normal.
“The relationships our members have with our fitness instructors are special. ... It's not something that you can replace with a machine in your house.”
David Barr, Owner & Operator
The Wembley Club - Chagrin Falls, OH
- A New Beginning, A Stronger Mission: CBI Editor-in-Chief Jim Schmaltz marvels at the industry's resilience, IHRSA's leadership and looks forward to telling the story of the industry's revival.
- Nurturing a Community: Under the leadership of owner David Barr, The Wembley Club in Chagrin Falls, OH, defied the odds to maintain its prominence as a community center while gaining memberships. In this exclusive interview, Barr tells us how he and fitness director Colleen Ryan kept the faith and found ways to connect with their members during the crisis.
- The Great Comeback: Six club operators around the country tell us how they weathered the pandemic during lockdown and reopening. Their experiences display the remarkable resilience of the industry.
- The Communication Advantage: The events of last year reinforced the importance of CMS and communication platforms for health clubs. Here’s what to look for in your tech system.
- Functional Spaces for Functional Training: With limitations still in effect on occupancy and social distancing, fitness directors have had to be creative in adapting their FT programs.
News & Know How
- News: Learn what the latest data says about consumer trends in the age of COVID. Also, why gyms have become childcare centers; recent trends in diversity; an update on the Fitness Recovery Act; the launch of the Active and Safe logo; and other news you need to know.
- Call to Action: Chris Craytor heads the newly created National Health & Fitness Alliance, an organization that will rally more power to support industry interests.
- Influencer: Rob DeHart of AV Now on the importance of audio for virtual training.
- Research Roundup: Highlights from IHRSA’s groundbreaking COVID-19 report.
- Leadership: Carrie Kepple, the interim chair of IHRSA, explains the need to adjust our perceptions to reinvent the future.
- Best Practices: Scott Gillespie, president of Saco Sport & Fitness, on how to connect with your former members to bring them back to your club.
- Advocacy: State alliances have emerged over the last year and have made a difference in promoting the industry. Here’s the latest on their efforts.
- Legacy: Joe Cirulli, the visionary founder of
Gainesville Health & Fitness, reflects on
his career and his thoughts for the future.