CBI April 2023
How Gigliola Aycardi used a medical fitness model to help grow BodyTech into one of Latin America's largest chains.
“If we want to change the world and have a better, more healthy society, we need to work together and stop thinking about individual countries or just one company and start thinking more like a group.”
Gigliola Aycardi, Co-founder
Augie Was the Best of Us: Augie Nieto lived 18 years after his amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) diagnosis. His longevity seemed an act of defiance, as if his endurance was achieved through sheer force of will. But even more impressive was what he did with those extra years.
- CEO's Column: We pulled excerpts from Liz Clark's powerful address at IHRSA 2023 in San Diego. To hear the entire speech, download the IHRSA app.
- Ahead of Her Time: Way back in 1997, Gigliola Aycardi and her partner Nicolas Loaizia created a new medical fitness model with Body-Tech. Today, Body-Tech is now one of the biggest brands in Latin America, and stands as a prime example of how fitness facilities can establish themselves as essential businesses that are part of the healthcare continuum. In this exclusive interview, she tells us how she did it.
- Creating—and Supporting—New Revenue Streams: How to create profitable income opportunities without a huge investment.
- The Great Outdoors: Here's how clubs are capitalizing on the pickleball phenomenon and other outdoor activities.
- Augie Nieto: His Life & Legacy: Remembering the industry legend who faced down a devastating diagnosis with courage and vision.
News & Know How
- News: The IHRSA European Congress returns after a three-year hiatus; IHRSA and Special Olympics enter into a historic partnership; the PHIT Act is reintroduced in Congress; the California Fitness Alliance makes progress on landmark legislation; and much more news.
- International News: Gabriel Hardy is appointed executive director of the Fitness Industry Council of Canada (FIC), Basic-Fit increases its dominance in the European market.
- Influencer: Sean McKirdy, business development manager of BodyScript, explains how today's clubs are getting the most out of its body analyzer.
- Research Roundup: A stunning new report by the OECD and WHO/Europe makes the economic case for investing more in physical activity policy.
- Formula for Success: Club Automation uses digital marketing to create successful lead generation and refine the customer journey.
- Industry Partner Perspectives: How to respond to surging trends.
- Making a Difference: British Swim School helps kids and adults get the most out of aquatic exercise.
- Industry Partner News: The latest news from top suppliers.
- Leadership: IHRSA Board Chair Chris Craytor leads a special tribute to Augie Nieto at IHRSA 2023.
- Best Practices: Learn how to take advantage of the Employee Retention Credit program.
- Advocacy: Richard Beddie, vice chair of the Global Health & Fitness Alliance Advisory Council, takes his place on the IHRSA Board.
- IHRSA Membership: Jeff Pettit, owner of Denver Health and Fitness, built his business with a little help from his friends—and IHRSA.