Washington, DC, June 17, 2021 -- Today, sixteen organizations, led by IHRSA, the Global Health & Fitness Association, and Community Gyms Coalition (CGC), released a letter calling on Congress to include H.R. 890 and S. 1613, the Gym Mitigation and Survival Act (GYMS Act), as part of any future economic recovery legislation.
“Government-mandated COVID-19 business closures and restrictions have taken an enormous toll on fitness facilities across the country - one out of every five has closed permanently and tens of thousands more are at risk, resulting in economic devastation for the facilities and their workers. As our nation continues to recover from the devastating impacts of COVID-19, fitness facilities require and deserve specific assistance due to the economic harm they have suffered and the critical role they play in restoring Americans’ physical and mental health,” said Jeff Perkins, Vice President of Government Relations at IHRSA.
In addition to IHRSA and CGC, signatories to the letter included:
- the American College of Sports Medicine,
- American Council on Exercise,
- Climbing Wall Association,
- Coalition for the Registration of Exercise Professionals,
- Fitness Business Association,
- IDEA Health & Fitness Association,
- International Council of Shopping Centers,
- International Franchise Association,
- International SPAAssociation,
- JCC Association of North America,
- Medical Fitness Association,
- National Academy of Sports Medicine,
- Sports & Fitness Industry Association, and
- the Yoga Alliance.