IHRSA regularly conducts industry research on more than 60 markets worldwide. IHRSA industry reports provide a comprehensive, country-specific overview of the fitness club industry in Europe, the Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and North America as well as a detailed view of the overall global market. IHRSA also tracks U.S. industry data on trends such club programs, facilities, and membership.
Fitness Industry Trend Report: Executive Summary Available Free to IHRSA Members!
IHRSA recently collaborated with the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and ClubIntel to conduct a comprehensive study of fitness industry behavior. The ensuing report explores the offerings of fitness professionals and gym operators around the world, and quantifies the data to reflect growth in trends over the past two years.
Industry Research Reports
- The Asia-Pacific Health Club Report (published in 2015)
- The 2016 IHRSA Global Report: The State of the Health Club Industry
- The European Health Club Report (last published in 2013)
- The IHRSA Canadian Health Club Report (published in 2013)
- The IHRSA Latin American Report (published in 2012)
- The 2011 IHRSA International Report: Size & Scope of Key Health Club Markets
International Industry Statistics
The 2016 IHRSA Global Report is the most up to date publication on the global fitness business. The Industry Research details the market size and scope of the Americas, Europe, and Asia-Pacific Market.
- African and Middle Eastern Market Statistics
- Asia-Pacific Market Statistics
- Canadian Market Statistics
- European Market Statistics
- Latin American Market Statistics
- Purchase Report
IHRSA Asia-Pacific and European Market Reports
The IHRSA Asia-Pacific Health Club Report (sponsored by Precor) and The IHRSA European Health Club Report (sponsored by FIBO, Les Mills, miha bodytec, and ojmar) contain additional information on the primary Asia-Pacific and European club markets.
- Purchase the Asia-Pacific Health Club Report
- Purchase the European Health Club Report
- Purchase the International Report
- Purchase the International Report: Club Operator Edition
IHRSA Latin-American Report
The IHRSA Latin American Report is the most comprehensive examination of key Latin American health club markets available anywhere. Sponsored by Hoist Fitness, this research publication was produced in collaboration with Mercado Fitness (Argentina) and supported by Fitness Brasil. This report is available in English, Portuguese or Spanish.
U.S. Industry Statistics
The Scope of the Health Club Industry
Number of US Clubs: 34,460 (as of 01/15)
Number of US Health Club Members: 54.1 million (as of 01/15)
2014 Total US Industry Revenues: $24.2 billion
Approximate Number of Health Clubs Worldwide (in 70 markets): 183,900
Approximate Number of Health Club Members Worldwide: 144.7 million
2014 Total Global Industry Revenues: $84 Billion (USD)
A sample of findings from current and past IHRSA research on facilities offered at clubs and areas of club expansion. Learn More
Top 10 Programs Offered at Clubs Learn More