The Industry Defense Fund
Every dollar you contribute allows IHRSA to PROMOTE your business with positive state and federal legislation aimed at decreasing barriers to exercise, PROTECT your business from misguided legislation and GROW the industry through Health and Activity Promotion.
Where Does the Money Go?
As your industry's trade association, and sole protector/advocate, IHRSA works to Promote and Protect health clubs in all 50 states by:
- advocating in all 50 states, including battleground states,
- providing expert testimony at hearings,
- direct communication with lawmakers to educate them on the industry and/or particular issues,
- connecting fitness professionals with key policy makers, and
- forging alliances with health promotion organizations.
How Do IHRSA's Efforts Protect/Promote Your Business?
- Stopping a sales tax on membership dues/services (saves each club an estimated $25,000 to $35,000 annually).
- Stopping burdensome licensure/certification requirements on personal trainers.
- Defending Automatic Membership Renewals and monthly EFTs
- Keeping locker-rooms safe from gender-identity legislation
- Battling against AED mandates and consumer protection proposals that do not include adequate liability protection
- Promoting alliances, National Legislation and Tax-Credits to increase the number of people exercising in health clubs.
Contributors range from individual fitness professionals and small training facilities to the larger multi-club chains operating in multiple states as well as industry suppliers. See the complete list of contributors at ihrsa.org/contributors.
"It is the obligation of every club, large & small to contribute to the Industry Defense Fund. A few dollars invested today could save ten fold in lost earnings should harmful legislation pass because there was inadequate resources to find it or fight it."
Scott Gillespie, President - Saco Sport & Fitness, Saco, ME
"The advocacy work that IHRSA does through the Industry Defense Fund is vital to the future of the health and fitness industry and we (NASM) are proud to support it."
David Van Daff, Vice President, Business Development and Public Affairs - National Academy of Sports Medicine
"The health club industry is poised to become a big part of a health care revolution. Without public policy advocates, we risk not being part of the solution. I contribute every year to ensure that our industry has a seat at the table.
Bryan O'Rourke, President, Integerus and FitMarc
Please contribute today:
- Pledge now or contact Meredith Poppler email@example.com or 800-228-4772, ext.129.
- To download the Pledge Form.
Please support IHRSA’s efforts to promote and protect the industry by contributing today.