Growing the Industry, Protecting Health Clubs, Promoting Activity
December 6, 2013
When the Maine legislature passed the state budget back in June, it created a task force to identify $40 million in cuts to “tax expenditures.” The Tax Expenditure Review Task Force released its recommendations last week, and it includes proposals to remove the existing exemptions for “amusements” and “personal care services.” Health club dues and services are likely to be considered. Members can learn more at ihrsa.org/maine.
December 4, 2013
ALERT: PA Sales Tax Fight Continues
Thank you to IHRSA members in Pennsylvania for writing your legislators, asking them to oppose Senate Bill 76. SB76 would impose a sales tax on health club dues and services. As always, your voice is key to IHRSA’s success in protecting and promoting your business and the industry.
To support IHRSA's efforts to stop taxes on health club dues and services in all 50 states, please lend your support to the 2014 Campaign to Promote and Protect the Industry. Contributions of any amount are welcome.
Every dollar you contribute allows IHRSA to
Contribute online Today! Or download a pledge form here!
- PROTECT your business from misguided legislation
- PROMOTE your business with positive state and federal legislation aimed at decreasing barriers to exercise
- and GROW the industry through Health and Activity Promotion.
As your industry's trade association, and sole protector/advocate, IHRSA works to Promote and Protect health clubs in all 50 statesby:
- direct communication with lawmakers to educate them on the industry and/or particular issues,
- providing expert testimony at hearings,
- connecting fitness professionals with key policy makers, and
- forging alliances with health promotion organizations.
How IHRSA's Efforts Protect/Promote Your Business:
- Stopping a state sales tax (saves each club an estimated $25,000 to $35,000 annually).
- Stopping burdensome licensure/certification requirements on personal trainers.
- Defending Automatic Membership Renewals and monthly EFTs
- Keeping locker-rooms safe from gender-identity legislation
- Battling against AED mandates and consumer protection proposals that do not include adequate liability protection
- Promoting alliances, National Legislation and Tax-Credits to increase the number of people exercising in health clubs.
All Types of Members Contribute:
Contributors range from individual fitness professionals and small training facilities to the larger multi-club chains operating in multiple states as well as industry suppliers. See the complete list of contributors at ihrsa.org/contributors.
"It is the obligation of every club, large & small to contribute to the Industry Defense Fund. A few dollars invested today could save ten fold in lost earnings should harmful legislation pass because there was inadequate resources to find it or fight it."
Scott Gillespie, President - Saco Sport & Fitness, Saco, ME
"The advocacy work that IHRSA does through the Industry Defense Fund is vital to the future of the health and fitness industry and we (NASM) are proud to support it."
David Van Daff, Vice President, Business Development and Public Affairs - National Academy of Sports Medicine
"The health club industry is poised to become a big part of a health care revolution. Without public policy advocates, we risk not being part of the solution. I contribute every year to ensure that our industry has a seat at the table.
Bryan O'Rourke, President, Integerus and FitMarc
Please contribute today:
- Pledge now or contact Meredith Poppler firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-228-4772, ext.129.
- To download the Pledge Form.
Please support IHRSA’s efforts to promote and protect the industry by contributing today.