Health Promotion Mission & Vision
How creating a healthy world is good for your club, and how IHRSA plans to do it.
IHRSA's vision is for the fitness industry to be a well recognized voice in health promotion and prevention, and for health clubs to be viewed as partners in preventive healthcare by individuals, employers, healthcare providers, insurance companies and government.
IHRSA will achieve this vision in the following ways:
- Provide tools and resources to help clubs promote sustainable health habits and showcase the best of the industry to the public
- Instill the value of a healthy, happy, and active lifestyle in future generations
- Promote health clubs as trusted health resources through professional partnerships with well recognized organizations and coalitions
- Work with policy makers to make health club memberships more affordable and accessible to the public.
Why the World Needs Clubs
- 31.1% of the world’s adults, or about 1.5 billion people, are almost completely sedentary
- 5.3 million people a year, or 1 in 10, die from diseases tied to physical inactivity as compared to 5.1 million who die annually because of smoking
- A 10% increase in physical activity could reduce direct health-care expenditures in Canada by C$ 150 million. (approximately US$ 124 million) in a year
- If everyone in the United States who was currently inactive began exercising, it could save $77 billion
- Health clubs are one of the few places people can exercise safely under the supervision of trained personal regardless of rain, snow, heat with friends and family having fun
Because of Health Clubs
- More than 54 million U.S. members (140 million globally) are finding support and encouragement to exercise and live healthy lives.
- Hundreds of thousands of families are providing their children with memories and legacy of enjoyable physical activity and active lifestyles.
- Hundreds of thousands of people with diabetes, heart disease, cancer, arthritis and other illnesses are finding it easier to manage their chronic conditions and enjoy life.
- Hundreds of thousands of people confronted with stress, anxiety and depression are finding a healthy way to cope - along with the social and professional support of other club members and fitness professionals.
Spread the Message
- Subscribe to the Health Benefits of Exercise Report for easy to share updates on the physical and mental health benefits of exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
- Follow @IHRSA and @IHRSA_GetActive on Twitter for the latest industry and health news.