IHRSA’s mission is to grow, promote and protect the health club industry. To carry out this mission, IHRSA advocates for legislation that would attract more people to health clubs, and against legislation that would interfere with club operations and hinder profitability. And IHRSA promotes health clubs as a safe, sensible, effective and supportive place to reach welless and physical activity goals.
IHRSA's Advocacy Services are a Primary Benefit for all IHRSA Members. These services include:
- Promoting Health Clubs as the solution to the inactivity epidemic
- Growing the Number of People Exercising in Clubs through proactive legislation, at the local, state and federal level and
- Protecting Clubs from Hazardous Legislation, Misguided Regulations and Taxes at the state level
- Legal and Legislative Information
Promoting Health Clubs as the Solution to the Inactivity Epidemic
IHRSA regularly communicates the importance of physical activity and the benefits of exercise in a health club through traditional media, social media, public relations and strategic alliances, as well as directly to lawmakers, medical professionals and business leaders.
IHRSA provides legal and legislative information on issues such as ADA, AEDs, bonding, employment law, injury liability, single gender clubs, locker-room privacy and more. Learn more at ihrsa.org/industry-issues.
To protect club operations from these industry issues, IHRSA tracks each and every bill introduced in all 50 states, gathering information from and strategizing with our state and DC lobbyists, and by working with IHRSA and Industry Leadership Council (ILC)members on the ground. To learn more about ILC Activities, download the What is the ILC Report.
Promoting the Value of Physical Activity
IHRSA continually makes the case that physical activity is part of the solution for the healthcare, chronic disease, and obesity crises. Learn more about at ihrsa.org/health-promotion.
How to be Involved in Advocacy
- Join the Industry Leadership Council - The Industry Leadership Council is made up of club owners from all types of club companies as well as industry suppliers that understand the importance of investing time and resources to Grow, Promote and Protect the industry. Download the What is the ILC Report.
- Read the IHRSA Industry Watch blog - A compilation of advocacy updates, leadership opportunities, and legal and legislative issues affecting the club industry.
- Learn about the advocacy issues the industry faces at the outside the US.