IHRSA Advocacy seeks to:
Grow the industry by enacting legislation, supporting policies and providing resources that drive more people to physical activity and health club membership.
Promote the industry by positioning health clubs as the primary solution for the inactivity epidemic, working with the highest level health organizations, government agencies and media.
- Protect health club operations from proposed regulations and taxes that would increase the cost and difficulty of operating a club by opposing the advancement of unfavorable legislation.
IHRSA Advocacy at the State Level
In all 50 states plus Washington, DC, IHRSA works to promote legislative opportunities that would grow club membership rosters and revenues by increasing access to regular physical activity and healthy lifestyles, and protect clubs from legislation that could harm your business. See what's happening in your state.
IHRSA Advocacy at the Federal Level
IHRSA's Federal Advocacy efforts seek to "make the healthy choice the easy choice" by influencing decisions and policies that encourage physical activity within political, economic, social and media institutions.
IHRSA provides legal and legislative information on issues such as ADA, AEDs, bonding, employment law, injury liability, single gender clubs, locker-room privacy and more. Learn more at ihrsa.org/industry-issues.
To protect your club from these issues, IHRSA tracks each and every bill introduced in all 50 states, gathering information from and strategizing with our state and DC lobbyists, and by working with IHRSA and Industry Leadership Council (ILC) members.
How to be Involved in Advocacy
- Visit the Advocacy Action Center to be an informed industry advocate.
- Subscribe to the IHRSA Advocate newsletter, your guide to knowing and understanding the policies that influence daily health club operations. IHRSA monitors and analyzes legislation and current events, so you know when to act
- Catch up on Advocacy and Public Policy Blog Posts.
- Attend the Industry Leadership Council Meeting during the annual IHRSA Convention. Contact Meredith Poppler for details or visit ihrsa.org/industry-leadership to see the ILC 2017 Experience.
- Join the Industry Leadership Council, a leadership group comprised of all types of club operators and industry suppliers that understand the importance of investing time and resources to Grow, Promote and Protect the industry.
- Contact the IHRSA Advocacy Staff.