IHRSA is and has been extremely effective in defending health club operations from problem legislation. The Advocacy team's process of reviewing, anticipating and monitoring makes surprises rare and the industry well-prepared. Over the past 8 years, IHRSA's record in defeating legislation that would be hazardous to health clubs is 135 wins vs 4 losses.
The bills IHRSA faces mainly comprise:
- Membership Contract Restrictions: IHRSA continues to see numerous bills that would limit membership contracts, hurt member retention efforts and restrict the use of EFTs for dues collections.
- Personal Training Regulations: Legislation that would limit a clubs’ access to qualified personal trainers, or make fitness services more expensive for consumers without safeguarding the consumer is a major industry concern. Thanks to IHRSA’s efforts on this issue over the past 20 years, our industry is currently free from personal trainers regulations.
- Sales Tax: Our industry is routinely targeted by state efforts to raise funds by taxing membership dues and services. IHRSA fights any bill that interferes with the accessibility and affordability of health club membership and works to repeal taxes where they currently existing.
- AED legislation: Currently 11 states and the District of Columbia require clubs to have an Automated External Defibrillator) IHRSA’s efforts ensure that AED mandates include adequate liability protections for club staff, contain reasonable staffing requirements, and provide adequate compliance time.
- Locker Room Privacy: In recent years, a commonly addressed issue is civil rights protections for transgender individuals. To date, 18 states have passed laws granting protections in places of public accommodation, (locker rooms). IHRSA is educating lawmakers on how these laws affect health club locker rooms, and has drafted language to protect health club operators from increased legal risks. Resources to help club operators navigate this sensitive topic are available at IHRSA.org/locker-room-privacy
IHRSA cannot and does not do this alone!
IHRSA's efforts are supported by the Industry Leadership Council, whose mission is to fund IHRSA's advocacy efforts. These contributions help to ensure that IHRSA has the much needed resources to protect your club and your bottom-line from harmful legislation.